Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Skyborn - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Life under the rule of the winged Skyborn race isn't so bad for Claret Spencer, the star mechanic of an independent repair shop. She can patch up just about anything...but when a certain cravat-wearing customer turns her life upside-down, she finds herself pulled into an epic, city-wide conflict that's going to take a lot more than elbow grease to fix! Join Claret on her journey through a tale of magic, metal and mystery as she unravels the secrets of the Skyborn!

This game features:
Lovable, addicting characters
Trendy and exciting Steampunk setting
Classic look, modern feel
Unique story-driven adventure
Multiple character classes
Breathtaking orchestral soundtrack

Previous Playtime

0 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

This is an rpgmaker game. I've had rpgmaker for awhile, because I really enjoy games (as you might have gathered from this blog) and I've long fantasized about making one. What I've found is that it's a lot of hard work, where you can labor for hours to get mere seconds of gameplay. And while I still hold out hope that one day I'll be able to forge a masterpiece, for now, my experience with rpgmaker games is that they're really short and don't have much going on . . .

Which is, of course, entirely unfair, because I'm certain that if you polish your game enough to be confident selling it in the Steam store, and the game subsequently gets positive reviews, then it probably has something going for it (then again, Sakura Spirit . . .).

I expect that Skyborn will be a lot like the SNES-era rpgs that were a staple of my early gaming experience, and that if I enjoy it, it will be hard to separate my genuine appreciation for the game-in-itself from my nostalgic appreciation of the genre. That's not such big problem for me, though. I think I may be getting to that age where I'm vulnerable to naked appeals to the culture of my youth.

We'll see. And in any event, I'm looking forward to seeing what rpgmaker can do in the hands of someone who's serious about using it. That way, when I begin my own projects, I'll get a better sense of the engine's potential (not that I'm imagining I'll be able to push the limits or anything, but a guy can dream).

No comments:

Post a Comment