Tuesday, December 12, 2017

One Way Heroics - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

In One Way Heroics, you take on the role of an intrepid adventurer who must travel across the land and face the Demon Lord before a mysterious shadow engulfs everything.

Darkness always approaches from the left, and with each movement or action you take, the void creeps ever closer. Forced to run right, you'll encounter any number of monsters, allies, thieves and shops on your desperate journey to stop the end of everything.

The good news is that you don't just have access to one world. You have access to all of them. 

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

There was a time I was just buying things left and right without much consideration, but the reason this, specifically made the cut was twofold. First, it was recommended as similar to Half-Minute Hero 2, which I bought at the same time, so I was in a mood to be favorably disposed towards gimmicky rpgs. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, it was 87 cents. I figured it was basically no risk to me.

Expectations and Prior Experience

It's a jrpg, which I like. But it's a roguelike, which gives me pause. My hope is that regardless of whether I like it or not, its structure is such that I can play it without needing too many breaks. Turn-based games in general are easier for me because of the way they break down time into manageable chunks. The only real hurdle I foresee is that the game might be too difficult and frustration could drive me away. But I've got the eye of the tiger right now. I'm only three games away from reaching my 2017 goal and I'm not going to let a petty thing like being completely miserable thwart me.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think it really falls into the JRPG category, more of a curiosity inspired by them. It's fun, though getting to twenty hours might be a challenge.

    -PAS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I don't know why I thought it was. I think the graphics and text boxes confused me.

      Delete
  2. Stopping by to say, I'm such a fan of this blog that (a) I'm reading every post from the beginning, and (b) I've started a similar project of my own! (Imitation, sincerest, etc.) If you're ever on Steemit, I'd be tickled if you'd stop by. https://steemit.com/@elseleth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out your blog. It's really good. I'd have left a comment there, but Steemit is being really weird about verifying my account.

      Anyway, 227 games is rough. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Yeah, it takes a day or two for them to set up new accounts. I had a couple entries written between the time I signed up and when I was able to post!

      Delete