Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

The Star Wars® Saga continues with Star Wars®: The Force Unleashed™ II, the highly anticipated sequel to the fastest-selling Star Wars game ever created. In Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, the world was introduced to Darth Vader’s now fugitive apprentice, Starkiller—the unlikely hero who would ignite the flames of rebellion in a galaxy so desperately in need of a champion.

In the sequel, Starkiller returns with over-the-top Force powers and embarks on a journey to discover his own identity and to reunite with his one true love, Juno Eclipse. In Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, Starkiller is once again the pawn of Darth Vader—but instead of training his protégé as a ruthless assassin, the dark lord is attempting to clone his former apprentice in an attempt to create the Ultimate Sith warrior. The chase is on – Starkiller is in pursuit of Juno and Darth Vader is hunting for Starkiller.

With all-new devastating Force powers and the ability to dual-wield lightsabers, Starkiller cuts a swath through deadly new enemies across exciting worlds from the Star Wars films - all in his desperate search for answers to his past.

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

It was a slick-looking action game that cost me about $1.50 when part of a massive bundle. I had a vague memory of liking the first game (though I must not have paid too much attention to the plot the first time around) and I will confess - I love buying whole series of games all at once.

Expectations and Prior Experience

I've only played The Force Unleashed, so all of my expectations are going to be informed by that. I think it will probably be a competently executed action game that will be diverting enough that my 20 hours will be relatively painless (provided I can pull myself away from No Man's Sky long enough to give it a chance).

However, the fact that a sequel exists at all is kind of baffling to me. Starkiller died at the end of the first game. How the hell is he running around in the second? According to the store page, it involves cloning somehow, but that's not really how cloning works. Not even in the Star Wars universe, where the mechanics of cloning are actually pretty well established - for example, the clone troopers have always been portrayed as being separate individuals from both each other and Jango Fett.

Of course, the store page also describes Juno Eclipse as Starkiller's "true love," which is . . . not well supported by the text. I imagine I'll be rolling my eyes at the story quite a bit before this is all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment