Monday, November 6, 2017

Divinity II: Developer's Cut - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Dragons: they have been hunted, they have been slain, but now the hour to strike back has come. Break free from the confines of the human body and take to the skies in this epic RPG adventure that challenges your wits and pits you against a thousand foes. Spread your wings, burn your enemies: become the dragon!

This Developer's Cut includes the ultimate edition of Divinity II, good for 100+ hours of highly acclaimed RPG gameplay, as well as the brand new Developer Mode and many more amazing extras!

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

Bundle. Cheap. "What's the harm?"

Expectations and Prior Experience

With two previous Divinity games under my belt, I feel pretty confident in saying that I expect the game to be mostly fine, but I worry about the plot being unnecessarily drawn out. Or, more accurately, I worry about the "100 hours of gameplay" breaking down into "35 hours of story and 65 hours of wandering around lost and/or underleveled."

Yet I think it says something that I have just come off of 40 hours of Divinity games and am willing to dive back in for another 20. I guess I have hope that this game, having a release date 8 years after the others, and, judging from the screenshots, being made in 3D, will be a little bit more user friendly. There's no real reason to think that, of course, but that's the attitude I'm choosing to have.

I figure the worst case scenario is that I'm stuck running in circles again. That would be pretty annoying, but I'm running out of games (huzzah!), so if not now, when?

2 comments:

  1. What are you going to do once you've finished your entire list? More importantly, what am I going to read?

    -PAS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no point in planning too far ahead, but I did have a couple of ideas about that. Creating my own game with something like rpg maker is one possibility. Another is that I start working my way through my tabletop collection and reading/reviewing all of those (though most of them, I've read already). Either way, it likely won't be the end of my blogging career, but hopefully a transition into something a bit more balanced and diverse.

      Delete