Sunday, December 13, 2015

The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

 The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot is a brand new game from Ubisoft Montreal that thrusts you in an outrageous medieval fantasy world called Opulencia where wealth, status and showboating are the name of the game!

As a newcomer to Opulencia, you will hack n slash your way through hundreds of castles designed by the ingenious minds of your fellow players!

Don’t forget to show them who’s boss by constructing deadly keep of your very own – in this kingdom, size really does matter!

Previous Playtime

0 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

I like the title of this game. It really gets down to the basics of what I expect from a game like this. I want to be given quests and I want to be rewarded for those quests with loot (why I need a reward for doing something I want to do is one of those awkward questions that I'm just going to skip past for now). That the quests are "mighty" and the loot is "epic" just goes to show that they know what their audience wants.

It's unclear yet whether the title is parodying me or pandering to me, but I'm prepared to accept either one as potentially amusing.

What worries me is that the Steam reviews are "mixed" (which I've noticed is pretty rare for anything but a "bad" game), so maybe all that it has going for it is a cute title. I'm not entirely sure how one screws up hack-and-slash dungeon crawling, but it's probably not impossible to do so. This is another free-to-play game, and if it's balanced against the assumption that players are going to spend significant amounts in the real-money shop, then it may well be virtually unplayable.

I think the most realistic worst case scenario is that it is merely tedious, with a lot of necessary grinding and a bunch of pointless deaths. In that case, I'll just endure it and move on. It's also possible that The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot lives up to its title and is just an over-the-top silly good time. At this point, either is possible.

Which is what makes starting a new game so exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment