Saturday, September 24, 2016

Star Wars: Dark Forces - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From The Steam Store Page)

Behind a veil of secrecy the evil Empire is creating a doomsday army - one that, if finished, will become the final cog in the Empire's arsenal of terror and domination.

Your Mission? Join the Rebel Alliance's covert operations division, infiltrate the Empire, then battle every man and machine the Imperial Forces can muster. Search a vast galaxy for clues, attack enemy bases-all in a desperate attempt to stop the activation of this fearsome new weapon. 

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This Game

This was a part of that massive Star Wars bundle I bought last year. I didn't know anything about it and it didn't factor into my decision to buy the bundle one way or another. I have heard of its sequel, but given the bizarre way this series is titled, I had no idea they were related.

Expectations and Prior Experience

 I'm about to dive into an FPS from 1995. I'm pretty nervous about it. I might be unfairly maligning the past, but in my experience, games from that era, especially in the more "hardcore" genres, did not necessarily care about presenting a pleasant or comfortable play experience. And since this is before shooter controls became standardized, I'll probably have to have some awkward key bindings to deal with.

The upside is that Dark Forces seems to be pretty well-regarded, so it's unlikely to be a pure slog. And I do love Star Wars, so at the very worst, I'll learn something about the expanded universe that has since been stricken from canon.

No comments:

Post a Comment