Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Game of Thrones - Genesis - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

What King will you be? 
Conqueror, Usurper or Diplomat? 

 
"A Game of Thrones - Genesis" immerses you into the heart of the battles and intrigues between the Houses that shaped the Kingdom of Westeros. From Nymeria's arrival in the Kingdom of Dorne to the awakening of the "Others" beyond the Wall, you'll live the origins of A Game of Thrones saga through more than 1000 years of history, by taking part in Westeros' founding events and largest battles. 
 

In this great strategy game, victory does not necessarily result from brute force. You can choose to use a military approach and besiege your opponents, strangle them in an economical war, or even use dirty tricks and diplomacy to politically crush them. Treachery and deception are everywhere and can be more efficient than the most powerful army. So watch your back and show no mercy if you want to keep sat on the Iron Throne. 

Previous Play Time

68 minutes

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I'd actually received this game as a gift. Before my friend gave it to me, I'd never even heard of it. Still, I like A Game of Thrones, so it was probably a well chosen gift.

Prior Experience

As I recall, I played the tutorial, but then stopped. At the time I was really into Crusader Kings 2, so my medieval-style political strategy game urge was already fulfilled. I suppose I never really gave it a fair chance.

Expectations

My memories of playing the tutorial are vague, but I remember thinking that it had an odd sort of RTS approach to diplomacy, one that I did not find particularly immersive, but then again, I was playing a lot of CK2 at the time, so that may have skewed my perceptions. I anticipate having difficulty acclimating to the style of strategy at first, but then gradually getting into it. Whether or not I have an enjoyable time getting to my self-imposed 20 hour playtime goal will depend greatly on the difficulty of the main campaign missions. RTS's are not one of my favorite genres, and if the game requires an excessive amount of micromanagement, it may well break me.

No comments:

Post a Comment