Friday, May 29, 2015

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Five years after the events from the award winning Star Wars® Knights of the Old Republic™, the Sith Lords have hunted the Jedi to the edge of extinction and are on the verge of crushing the Old Republic. With the Jedi Order in ruin, the Republic’s only hope is a lone Jedi struggling to reconnect with the Force. As this Jedi, you will be faced with the galaxy’s most dire decision: Follow the light side or succumb to the dark…


Previous Playtime

4 minutes

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

It was in a bundle, and thus, on an individual level, extremely cheap, so I felt like I couldn't pass it up.  It wasn't a purely compulsive purchase, though. Back when I was still gaming on the original Xbox, this game was in heavy rotation as one of my go-to games. I put in my wish list specifically to wait for a sale and thus get it in a more convenient format.

Expectations and Prior Experience

I must have played the bulk of this game at least a half dozen times. I only finished it a couple of times because it's long and the ending is kind of lame, but I made up for it by searching for secrets and Easter eggs. It wasn't until my third time playing that even realized you could convert your party members to Jedi and I subsequently made it my mission to convert them all. I don't remember if I succeeded, but it'll definitely be a goal for this playthrough.

I think I have pretty realistic expectations about this game. It's a lot like the original Knights of the Old Republic except with more sophisticated crafting and dialogue systems, more complex character creation, and a shakier plot. I'll probably cruise right through it, though depending on my build, I might face a couple of rough spots.

It'll be interesting to see the ending again through fresh eyes. I never quite understood what was going on, but maybe that will change if I pay closer attention this time through. All-in-all, I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment