Thursday, July 2, 2015

Rogue Legacy - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

 Rogue Legacy is a genealogical rogue-"LITE" where anyone can be a hero.

Each time you die, your child will succeed you. Every child is unique. One child might be colorblind, another might have vertigo-- they could even be a dwarf.

That's OK, because no one is perfect, and you don't have to be perfect to win this game. But you do have to be pretty darn good because this game is HARD. Fortunately, every time you die all the gold you've collected can be used to upgrade you manor, giving your next child a step up in life and another chance at vanquishing evil.

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

The pictures on the store page looked a lot like the side-scrolling action-platformers I played when I was younger, and I thought the generational mechanic looked interesting. And if you've been following this blog for any length of time, you'll not be surprised to learn that it was on deep discount. There was a period where if I saw anything vaguely interesting and the price was not too high, I picked it up out of reflex. I was much more optimistic about my chances of finishing the blog back then.

Expectations and Prior Experience

My feelings about the last roguelike I played are mixed. I still, on an intellectual level, really like the concept, but I need to come to grips with the fact that, emotionally, I hate to lose. I hope the inheritance mechanic will mitigate this somewhat by allowing me to make incremental progress even from a bad run, but if this game turns out to be a treadmill of failure, I'm probably going to be pretty unhappy for the next couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. I quite enjoyed this one. I played about 25 hours before I ran out of interest. I expect you'll find this an easy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete