Sunday, May 24, 2015

Interlude - AdVenture Capitalist - 20 hours and counting

Sigh. There's this free game AdVenture Capitalist, which I thought looked pretty cute. And it was free, so if it turned out to be horrible, there's basically no risk. So why not give it a try? I am such an idiot.

All it is is a "numbers going up" simulator. You click on buttons to make certain numbers go up faster and your reward for doing so is the ability to click on buttons. It's just the slightest wisp of nothing, yet I'm finding myself hopelessly addicted. I keep checking back every few minutes, "have my numbers gone up enough yet" a question that is never too far from my mind. Why, in the course of writing this post, I've already checked it three times.

I suppose it's harmless enough. There are things you can buy with real money that will speed up the rate at which your numbers increase, and in my more fevered moments of obsessive number-watching, I briefly entertained the possibility of purchasing them, but fortunately, I am still tethered enough to reality to understand what a huge waste that would be.

I didn't actually intend to take a break from Knights of the Old Republic, and I've still been playing it a little, but I really did get sucked in unexpectedly. I think the initial thrill (yes, it is oddly thrilling when you reach milestones in this game, your first million, billion, trillion, quadrillion . . . there doesn't appear to be any upper limit) has faded enough that I'll be able to put it on the back burner for awhile. I expect a new KotOR post tomorrow, though my first quintillion is really close . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment