Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Sid Meier's Civilization VI - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to-head with history’s greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.

Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.

Previous Playtime

3 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I actually really wanted to buy this game back in October, when it first came out, but I couldn't afford it full-price. It went up to the top of my wishlist instead. So, when it went on sale for 40% off, about two weeks before my birthday, I decided to treat myself. It probably wasn't the wisest idea, considering my goal of finishing my entire list by this time next year, but what the hell, you only live once.

Expectations and Prior Experience

I've already played 100 hours of the Civilization series for the blog (120, if you count Colonization), so I don't think I'm going to be surprised. Here's my prediction - I'll reach 20 hours before the end of the month, and by July 1st at the latest. That's just what experience has taught me. I go through Civilization games fast.

As for this game, specifically, I played the tutorial and about an hour of a regular game, and so far it looks interesting. I liked the districts and the eureka bonuses, but haven't quite gotten used to the game's expectations about expansion and luxury management. I expect that will be a major stumbling block for me, overcoming the habits I learned from Civilization V. However, even in the worst case scenario, it will still be a Civilization game. There are only so many way it can go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment