Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Settlers 7: Paths to Kingdom - Gold Edition - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Choose your own path to victory in The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom™, the long-anticipated sequel to the award-winning strategy game. Embark on an exciting quest to create, build and manage your kingdom in the most innovative, customizable and re-playable version ever!

Immerse Yourself in a Captivating Story…
Unravel an intriguing and unexpected story as you play. Combat enemies all across the land in a quest to conquer a formidable kingdom. Defeat ruthless kings, forbidding lords and dark knights on your quest for victory. Uncover undisclosed traitors along your path and turn enemies into allies to pave your path to victory.

Experience a Vast and Beautiful Kingdom
A beautiful, colorful world awaits you with a level of detail unseen before now! A flourishing kingdom full of bustling Settlers will enthrall you from the very first moment.

Build, Develop and Manage Your Emerging Domain
Enjoy a deep and rich building and production system as you create a kingdom of fortified towns, small villages and productive settlers. Make critical decisions as you expand your realm. Should you optimize production chains, build transport systems, construct new buildings or increase worker efficiency? Every choice you make builds a critical path to victory or defeat.

Previous Playtime

96 minutes

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I need very little persuasion to pick up a city-building game, and I liked this particular one's visual style. The fact that I didn't know it required uPlay also helped.

Expectations and Prior Experience

So, I've already played this for an hour and a half, but all my memories of it are "tutorial-esque." I think it's more because this is one of those games that likes to hide its mechanics inside a long, drawn-out story mode than because it's got a particularly steep learning curve, but it's possible it could be both.

One thing I do definitely remember is that Settlers 7 is a city-builder that also inexplicably includes small-unit warfare, which is always something that annoys me, but since I never got past the combat tutorial, I'm holding out hope that it's a minimal part of the game at large.

Overall, I'm pretty optimistic. I like manipulating the lives of virtual people, shaping their environment to my unknowable whims.  As long as I can mostly do that, I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment