Saturday, November 1, 2014

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (from the Steam Store Page)

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur's Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons™ computer roleplaying games ever since. 

Running on an upgraded and improved version of the Infinity Engine, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition™ includes the entire Baldur's Gate adventure, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, and never-before-seen content including a new adventure and three new party members: the Calishite monk Rasaad yn Bashir, Neera the wild mage, and Dorn Il-Khan, the evil blackguard.


Previous Play Time

2 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I'd often heard Baldur's Gate mentioned whenever people talked about the pantheon of classic crpg's, and it was on sale for five bucks, so I decided to give it a shot.

Expectations and Prior Experience

I've actually had this game for quite awhile. I started a character, played for a couple of hours, and got so frustrated with constantly dying all the time that I gave up. This should have come as no surprise to me, because I played AD&D for years, and low-level AD&D is like a living nightmare. I've since come to suspect that Baldur's Gate 2 is the classic and Baldur's Gate is more like a tech demo.

I'll admit, I'm kind of dreading playing this game. I love rpgs, and I know that if I can survive the first few levels, it should get a lot more playable, but that's the trick, isn't it? Still, it comes very highly recommended, so I can only assume that it has a lot to offer those who stick it out. I'm sure that, by the end, I'll be a believer. Luckily, I have my self-imposed deadline to keep me on task.

Wish me luck.

1 comment: