Friday, April 7, 2017

Neverwinter - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Neverwinter is a free, action MMORPG based on the acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game. Epic stories, action combat and classic roleplaying await those heroes courageous enough to enter the fantastic world of Neverwinter!

Previous Playtime

2 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

Well, it was free, so there wasn't much of a commitment involved, but if I recall, I downloaded it specifically because one of my friends was playing it extensively at the time. I always think it's going to be fun playing online multiplayer and then I rarely get around to it.

Expectations and Prior Experience

Case in point - this game. I played through the first dungeon with my friend and then never touched it again. From what I remember, it was fun. A little bit faster paced than something like Dungeons and Dragons Online, but not quite fast-paced enough to be an actual action game.

My big worry when starting any free-to-play game is the question "what did they hide behind a pay wall in order to try and make people spend real money?" I've had pretty good luck so far in that all of the FTP games I've played have been truly fun games in their own right and not too tricky with the real-money shop. It should be fine if I only have a limited number of character slots or lack access to certain cosmetic bits of flair, but I'd be pretty concerned if there's an essential mechanic locked behind a daily timer or deliberately stingy random drops.

On the other hand, at the very worst, this is going to be a fantasy rpg with a lot of loot and character customization, so even if I hate it, I probably won't hate it, if you catch my drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment