Thursday, April 19, 2018

Toribash - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Toribash is an innovative free-to-play online turn-based fighting game where you’re able to design your own moves. It is a martial arts simulator (yes, we do call a game with full body dismemberment a simulator) where you move your character by controlling joints on their body. As each of them can have 4 different states, number of possible moves is almost endless, which makes fights unique.

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I thought its "fighting game meets turn-based strategy meets QWOP" pitch sounded pretty intriguing, and it was free, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I was more careless with my time back then.

Expectations and Prior Experience

I'm going in almost completely blind. Free-to-play games are always tricky, because their revenue models tend to make things worse, but I can't even conceive how Toribash is planning on making money. So it will either be completely innocuous or absolutely dreadful. I don't anticipate anything in between.

I expect that a turn-based game will be pretty easy for me to play. The real problem is that in most free-to-play games the single-player experience is an afterthought. I don't relish the prospect of diving into a new competitive community as an absolute novice, especially when the game is a few years old and most of the remaining player base is likely to be experts.

Still, what's the worst that can happen? I wind up sinking to the bottom of the rankings and stay there indefinitely? What else is new?

No comments:

Post a Comment