Thursday, September 18, 2014

Bastion - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Bastion is an action role-playing experience that redefines storytelling in games, with a reactive narrator who marks your every move. Explore more than 40 lush hand-painted environments as you discover the secrets of the Calamity, a surreal catastrophe that shattered the world to pieces. Wield a huge arsenal of upgradeable weapons and battle savage beasts adapted to their new habitat. Finish the main story to unlock the New Game Plus mode and continue your journey! 
 

 Prior Play Time

0 hours

Previous Experience

None. However, action rpgs are one of my favorite genres, so I'll probably get the hang of it pretty quick.

Expectations

I'll admit, they're pretty high. I know that's probably an unlucky thing to say, but I've nonetheless got a good feeling about this game. While I try not to look at a game's reviews before I play it, I couldn't help but notice that it's got an 86 metascore. Plus, it was given to me by my good friend Daniel, who does not generally have sadistic tendencies, and it was spoken of highly on my rpg.net thread.

However, aside from high hopes, I can't really say I have any specific expectations at all. "Redefining storytelling in games" means virtually nothing to me, and what few features I can suss out from the store description don't go particularly far in distinguishing it from other action rpgs I may have played. So, I kind of feel like I'm in for a generic action rpg with an interesting story.

And you know what, I'm cool with that.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy. This is gonna be interesting! I definitely look forward to seeing your thoughts on this one. :D

    ReplyDelete