Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Hand of Fate - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

 Deckbuilding comes to life in Hand of Fate!

An infinitely replayable series of quests - earn new cards, build your deck, then try to defeat it!

Beyond the thirteen gates at the end of the world, the game of life and death is played. Draw your cards, play your hand, and discover your fate. Hand of Fate is a hybrid roguelike/action-RPG/deck builder, in which the player builds a set of cards into a deck, which is then used to deal out the dungeon floors through which they adventure. Upon entering a combat, all of the cards the player has collected fly into their hands as fully modeled 3D assets, and combat begins.

Build your deck, enter the world of Hand of Fate, and prepare to face the Ace of Skulls.

Previous Playtime

0 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

Another strange one. I'd never heard of it before, but going by the description, I'm intrigued. I like card games, a lot, and a card game that's also an action-rpg does sound like a little slice of heaven. Roguelikes, I'm on the fence about. I like them in theory. There's something appealing about the idea of a fair challenge that pushes your limits until failure is a matter of "when" rather than "if," but I've also been known to be irrationally fragile about that sort of thing. I like the feeling of winning, even if a hard-fought loss would be more impressive.

Still, maybe there' a particular deck that will allow me to dominate the challenges. If so, discovering it would be just about my favorite thing in life. I love, love, love assembling elaborate combos to achieve ridiculous outcomes in collectible card games. Usually, I tend to overthink things and build top-heavy decks that only work on the rare, extraordinary draw, but when the stars align and everything works perfectly . . .

If Hand of Fate can deliver that experience, it will have made a fan for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment