Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

 The year is 2052 and the world is a dangerous and chaotic place. Terrorists operate openly - killing thousands; drugs, disease and pollution kill even more. The world's economies are close to collapse and the gap between the insanely wealthy and the desperately poor grows ever wider. Worst of all, an ages old conspiracy bent on world domination has decided that the time is right to emerge from the shadows and take control.

Key Features:
Real role-playing from an immersive 3D, first-person perspective. The game includes action, character interaction and problem solving.

Realistic, recognizable locations. Many of the locations are built from actual blueprints of real places set in a near future scenario.

A game filled with people rather than monsters. This creates empathy with the game characters and enhances the realism of the game world.

Rich character development systems: Skills, augmentations, weapon and item selections and multiple solutions to problems ensure that no two players will end the game with similar characters.

Multiple solutions to problems and character development choices ensure a varied game experience. Talk, fight or use skills to get past obstacles as the game adapts itself to your style of play.

Strong storyline: Built on "real" conspiracy theories, current events and expected advancements in technology. If it's in the game, someone, somewhere believes.

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

A long time ago, I want to say about ten years, I played a demo of this game. I liked it, but didn't particularly feel the urge to track down the full game. Since then, I've heard the title Deus Ex bandied about as a serious contender for the best rpg of all time. My curiosity was piqued, so when I saw I could buy it for less than five bucks, I figured it was worth a try.


Expectations and Prior Experience

I've played the aforementioned demo, but that was ten years ago and I don't remember much of it. More recently, I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the console, but I didn't finish it because stealth games frustrate the hell out of me. I worry that an old-school stealth game will be even worse, but that fear isn't based on anything concrete. By all accounts the original Deus Ex is more open-ended than any of the sequels, so presumably I should be able to find a character build that plays to my strengths.


My real concern is that, with this game, I'll have played three story-driven rpgs in a row, and if I don't finish the entire main story, I'll seem overly feckless. I'm probably being too sensitive, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment