Sunday, June 5, 2016

Long Live The Queen - Initial Thoughts

About The Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Rule the world or die trying!

Being a Princess is not an easy job. Being a Queen is even harder. Especially when you're only fourteen years old, and the reason you've inherited the throne is that your royal mother has just met an untimely end.

Now power is up for grabs. You may be the official heir, but much of the country's nobility would love to steal the throne for themselves. Aggressive neighbors will take advantage of any weakness to enlarge their borders at your expense. And that's not even mentioning the magical dangers which are lying in wait...

Can you survive long enough to reach your coronation?

THE QUEEN IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE QUEEN

Previous Playtime

8 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I'd been following a Let's Play of this game for awhile and I thought it looked hilarious, so when it went on sale I decided to give it a shot.

Expectations and Prior Experience

In my quest to ascend to the throne, I've died so many times. I never really felt frustrated, though, because the egregious unfairness of your deaths is central to the humor of the game.

The big challenge of this game, at least going by my memories of it, is that it is strictly deterministic, but also extremely complicated, so on the way to your various deaths, you suffer a lot of repetition and you can never be fully sure that you've seen everything there is to see.

My main concern about playing this game is the question of how long it will take to die in every possible way and how much longer it will take to win in every possible way. I've already got eight hours behind me and 20 percent of the achievements, so I'm guessing that 20 hours will be easily attainable, yet at the same time, what if 20 hours isn't enough? What if I never get to be queen? Will I be able to handle the disappointment?

I guess we'll just have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment