Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Smugglers 5 - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Smugglers 5 is the fifth installment in the turn-based single-player space trading game series. Will you be a greedy trader, an ambitious fleet pilot or a ruthless pirate? Board enemy ships, manage factories, conquer star systems and forge your own galactic empire - ultimately, your actions will have an impact on a galactic scale.

'It’s basically Elite… but turn-based. [...]' - Rockpapershotgun.com blog (Smugglers 4)

'Smugglers 5 is an impressive and exceedingly addictive game.[...]' - darkzero.co.uk

'I’ve been playing Smugglers' games since I was a kid[...]' - Christian T. (a happy customer)

The galaxy is at war - the Federation, the Coalition, the Outer Rim systems and the criminal Syndicate battle for control. It's a dangerous life for a pilot on the front lines, but it can also be a lucrative one - are you an honest trader, or does smuggling illegal goods sound more profitable? Will you join the war effort for your faction, set up your own empire or simply explore the galaxy?
 
Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

2015 was a very active time for increasing my video game collection, but this game, specifically, caught my eye because it was 90% off. Ninety-fucking-percent! Since the game itself looked like a fairly unobjectionable turn-based strategy game, I couldn't resist. How could I go wrong for 99 cents?

Expectations and Prior Experience

It's turn-based, there's trading, it should be fine. The poor Steam reviews might be a concern, but the series has four sequels, so how bad could it be. The worst case scenario here is that it has a steep learning curve and I'm stuck in newbiedom for longer than necessary. I don't relish the idea of spending several hours as the galaxy's whipping boy.

That said, it's a pretty speculative fear at this point. As long as I can do honest trading in relative peace, I'll be happy to grind away indefinitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment