Friday, October 21, 2016

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Forge your weapon and follow the path of the Jedi

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is the latest installment of the highly acclaimed Jedi Knight series. Take on the role of a new student eager to learn the ways of the Force from Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. Interact with famous Star Wars characters in many classic Star Wars locations as you face the ultimate choice: fight for good and freedom on the light side or follow the path of power and evil to the dark side. 

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I think I've explained the bundle thing at least a half-dozen times already, and it looks like I'm going to have to do it about a half-dozen more, but it's easy enough - at less than two dollars a game, and with my unreasonable love of the Star Wars movies, this was an easy purchase for me. It was made an especially easy decision for me because this game is the sequel to the one game in the Dark Forces series I had built up as "the one that got away."

Expectations and Prior Experience

I have no experience with this game specifically, but having just finished four other games in the series, I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm in for - slightly imprecise platforming and button-mashing lightsaber combat with a hint of functional but uninspiring FPS gameplay all set in a series of levels that will only occasionally bottleneck me with obtuse puzzles all wrapped up in a plot that is clearly a labor of love for all involved but also guilty of some small amount of embarrassing expanded-universe excess.

It's possible that this is going to be the game that breaks with the series' formula, but I doubt it. That's not that big a deal, though, because it's a formula that works and so far each iteration has been better than the last. My biggest worry is that since I've played so much of it over the last month or so, I may wind up judging it more harshly than it deserves. You should probably take my opinions over the next week or so with a grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment