Friday, September 15, 2017

Galactic Civilizations III - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

The human race has finally mastered faster-than-light travel opening up the stars for exploration and colonization. As the leader of the newly formed Terran Alliance, you will guide humanity's expansion into becoming a space-based civilization. Soon, you will discover that we are not alone. Alien civilizations with their own histories and motivations are expanding as well. Research new technology, design starships, negotiate trade and treaties, wage wars, colonize new worlds, construct starbases in the largest 4X strategy game ever made. And when you've finished that, play again as one of the many included alien civilizations each with its own history, technology tree, ship components and more.

Previous Playtime

0 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

I first want to say a word of thanks to reader PAS for sending me this game. I've been looking forward to playing it for quite awhile.

I've played the previous game in the series quite a bit, and while in my latest go-round, I found the relentless need for expansion to be a bit of an annoyance, it was still a planet-settling, tech-researching, ship-customizing, menu-browsing sort of game, and thus one I could easily and happily play for hours at a stretch.

My big hope for Galactic Civilizations III is that it brings a bit of modern polish to the GalCivII formula. If the menus are slightly easier to navigate, the opposition a bit more respectful of my borders, and the ships a bit more balanced against each other, I expect I will be perfectly happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment