Monday, November 30, 2015

Sentinels of the Multiverse - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Calling all Sentinels! Do you have what it takes to defend the Multiverse? Compose a team of comic book heroes, each with their own playstyles, backstories, and grudges. Pit them against a variety of maniacal and formidable villains. Defeat your enemies and save the Multiverse!

Sentinels of the Multiverse is the award-winning game in which players join forces as heroes to combat a dastardly villain in a dynamic environment.

The digital version of Sentinels of the Multiverse plays like a comic book come to life! Control an entire team of heroes in single player, or head online and join heroes from around the globe in multiplayer. This is cooperative card-battle like you’ve never played before!

The rules of the game are deceptively simple: Play a Card, Use a Power, and Draw a Card. What makes Sentinels of the Multiverse unique is that each card has special abilities that can create powerful combos or even change the rules of the game!

Previous Playtime

112 minutes

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

A couple of years ago a friend of mine introduced me to this amazing card game where players cooperated as a team of superheroes to take down a villain that uses a deck of cards that, thanks to a handy rules guide, plays itself. It's just a great game all-around, flavorful, well-designed, and fun. I fell in love with it immediately. Unfortunately, my friend lives in about 6 hours away by car, so even though I bought the game and most of its expansion, I never really got an opportunity to play it.

So, when I saw that there was a video game version on Steam, I rushed to put it on my wishlist, for the day that it went on sale. That day was, apparently, Thanksgiving 2015, when it was less than 5$. Despite having more than enough on my video-game plate, I snapped it up (Thanksgiving pun unfortunately intended, sorry).  Then, because I'm a ridiculous person, I also spent 20$ on the DLC season pass.

Expectations and Prior Experience

I've played the physical card game a couple of times, and it was super-fun, if sometimes a little tough to keep track of the more complex modifiers and variants. Soon after buying the video game version, I played the tutorial and a single random match, and I had a blast. It was, maybe, a little lonelier than the tabletop version, but I have to admit it was nice to have computerized tracking of things like health levels and active effects.

I am not worried about this game in the slightest. I enjoyed the hell out of Magic 2014 and Sentinels of the Multiverse is a better card game than Magic: the Gathering (yeah, I said it), so in theory the video game version should hold up just as well. If I had to state a concern, it would be that Sentinels of the Multiverse doesn't have alternate game modes or challenges, so it might get a little repetitive just playing the basic game over and over.

On the other hand, "repetitive" doesn't really bother me, and while tweaking decks and attempting challenges were my favorite parts of Magic 2014, it's not like I didn't enjoy the actual gameplay.

I'm confident that I'll be smiling at the end of the 20 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment