Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

 Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut is a standalone release of Harebrained Schemes' critically-acclaimed Dragonfall campaign, which first premiered as a major expansion for Shadowrun Returns. The Director's Cut adds a host of new content and enhancements to the original game: 5 all-new missions, alternate endings, new music, a redesigned interface, team customization options, a revamped combat system, and more - making it the definitive version of this one-of-a-kind cyberpunk RPG experience.

NOTE: The Director’s Cut is free to existing owners of the Dragonfall expansion for Shadowrun Returns. It will be automatically added to your Steam Library when the game is released.
 
Man Meets Magic & Machine
In 2012, magic returned to our world, awakening powerful creatures of myth and legend. Among them was the Great Dragon Feuerschwinge, who emerged without warning from the mountains of Germany, unleashing fire, death, and untold destruction across the countryside. It took German forces nearly four months to finally shoot her down - and when they did, their victory became known as The Dragonfall.

It’s 42 years later - 2054 - and the world has changed. Unchecked advances in technology have blurred the line between man and machine. Elves and trolls walk among us, ruthless corporations bleed the world dry, and Feuerschwinge’s reign of terror is just a distant memory. Germany is splintered - a stable anarchy known as the “Flux State” controls the city of Berlin. It’s a place where power is ephemeral, almost anything goes, and the right connections can be the difference between success and starvation. For you and your team of battle-scarred shadowrunners, there’s no better place to earn a quick payday.

Now, a new threat is rising, one that could mean untold chaos and devastation. One that soon has you and your team caught on the wrong side of a deadly conspiracy. The only clue: whispers of the Dragonfall. Rumors that the Great Dragon Feuerschwinge may still be alive, waiting for the right moment to return…

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

Technically, I got it for free, because I owned the Dragonfall DLC for Shadowrun Returns, but I'm not going to nitpick here. I bought Dragonfall because I enjoyed "Dead Man's Switch," but felt like it was missing something. I wanted a more freeform encounter with the Shadowrun universe, one where I could explore and make choices. So, when I heard that Dragonfall would be more of an open world experience, I jumped on it.

Then I forgot about it for, like, a year and a half, because I probably have a serious problem with compulsive shopping.

Expectations and Prior Experience

I just got done playing Shadowrun Returns and I liked it, so I have no worries about the basic, physical experience of playing the game. In all likelihood, I will enjoy this one just as much. My main concern here is the changes between the two games. The Steam Store page is a little vague in this regard, promising a new combat system and a redesigned interface (I cut off about 2/3rds of the description because, damn, it was long), but what intrigues me most is the new spells, cyberware, and character customization options. I don't know exactly what they are yet, but I know myself. I love excess, especially when it comes to my fictional worlds, so more is always better . . .

. . . he said, right before getting his ironic comeuppance. Seriously, though, I'm optimistic. What could possibly go wrong . . .

Okay, I've got to stop saying stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment