Monday, September 19, 2016

Fallen Enchantress - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

A World to Build… or Destroy.

“A war is coming… a war between East and West - between Kingdoms and Empires, between man and Fallen. A future of blood and death, of chaos and destruction.” – the Oracle Ceresa

Design your sovereign with unique talents and weapons for the trials ahead. Learn powerful spells to enchant units, summon elementals, or destroy those who oppose you. Found cities and research technologies to expand your influence. Send your champions on quests to recover ancient artifacts, gain allies, or obtain the great wealth lost during the Cataclysm.

The land is not simply waiting to be claimed; it must be conquered. Darkling camps, ogre lairs and caves waiting to be explored dot the landscape. In remote corners of the world, tireless butchermen, fell demons and legendary locations are waiting to be found. Explore Varda, a pre-Cataclysm city defended by golems that have turned on the citizens and made the city into a prison. Defeat Sarog to claim the Temple of the Dragon and recruit Ashwake Dragons to your cause. Claim the Flooded Graveyard or the Pit of Sarpah to harness the powerful magical energy of those locations.

Previous Playtime

14.3 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I have a pretty low threshold for persuasion when it comes to 4X games. I heard that Fallen Enchantress was an improved version of Elemental and somehow my brain translated "improved" into "good," so I jumped into it without reservation. Then, two weeks later, the standalone expansion was released and I was like fuuuuck!

Expectations And Prior Experience

Truthfully, my memories of this game are entirely eclipsed by Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. I remember that when I started playing the later game there were some balance changes that I was initially confused by, but which I eventually concluded were improvements, but I couldn't tell you what those changes actually were.

Still, it's turn-based fantasy with city management and technological research, and I liked it well enough that I bought a standalone expansion within two weeks of getting the original, so the chances that are good that this is going to be an easy one for me. I don't foresee running into any problems, but in the unlikely event that I do, I'll probably just tough them out. I've not yet run into a 4X that simply repelled me. Even the worst of them manage to distract me, at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment