Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Star Wars: Republic Commando - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Chaos has erupted throughout the galaxy. As leader of an elite squad of Republic Commandos, your mission is to infiltrate, dominate, and ultimately, annihilate the enemy. Your squad will follow your orders and your lead, working together as a team - instinctively, intelligently, instantly. You are their leader. They are your weapon.

  • Innovative Squad Control System - With intuitive and smart squad commands, the simple touch of one button easily controls your squad to perform complex commands and strategic maneuvers.
  • Multiple Gaming Mode - Choose the single-player option and command a squad of four that you can dispatch at will. Or, choose the multiplayer option and play with up to sixteen players online in different multi-player modes.
  • Prelude to Episode III - Encounter new vehicles, locations and enemies from the upcoming film.  
Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

This game is part of the huge Star Wars bundle I  bought awhile back. My main thought was "wow, look at all these games for 23$ - that's less than 2$ per game." The real games of interest were the Knights of the Old Republic and Force Unleashed series, and possibly Battlefront II (I loved the console version, but I'm wary of how it will feel without a controller), but I thought that the others would be a nice bonus. Once I actually counted my to-play list and saw that it was longer than it's ever been, I reconsidered that opinion, but at the time, it definitely seemed like a happy circumstance.

Expectations and Prior Experience

This is a tough one because there are so many variables that can go either way. I like the idea of seeing the Star Wars universe from a new perspective, but the EU stuff is super hit-or-miss. Shooters aren't really my favorite genre, but certain select shooters rank among my all-time favorite games. So, if Republic Commando is as fast-paced and casual as Borderlands with the sprightly, adventurous storytelling of the original trilogy, then I could really love it. On the other hand, if it is a highly technical sim-focused shooter with the grim self-seriousness of the franchise at its worst, than I'm in for a miserable 20 hours.

The store page isn't really a lot of help in this regard. I suppose I could search online for reviews, but I'll find out soon enough. For now, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment