Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Antichamber - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)
Antichamber is a mind-bending psychological exploration game where nothing can be taken for granted. Discover an Escher-like world where hallways wrap around upon each other, spaces reconfigure themselves, and accomplishing the impossible may just be the only way forward. 

Several years in the making, Antichamber received over 25 awards and honors throughout its development, in major competitions including the Independent Games Festival, the PAX10, IndieCade and Make Something Unreal. Antichamber was also supported by the Indie Fund.


Previous Play Time
96 Minutes  

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This
I received this game as a gift from my friend, Daniel. I'd never even heard about it before the day I got it. I can only assume he got it for me to force me to make a sanity check.

Prior Experience
I guess the word "enjoyment" is fairly applicable. It was weird, and required some corkscrew thinking, but the novelty of the experience was definitely worthwhile. On the other hand, saying I enjoyed it might be a little strong. I quickly came to not trust the game, and the experience of being disoriented and confused was not an especially pleasant one.

I didn't ragequit or anything, but when the inevitable distractions came around an hour and a half into the game, my attachment wasn't strong enough to bring me back. I regret it because the part I saw was so unique that I almost feel like I missed out one of the essential video games.

Expectations
 I expect to be frustrated and confused and filled with wonder. I expect to learn something about myself, and the assumptions I unwittingly bring in to games with me. I expect that I will wind up looking really, really stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment