Saturday, April 7, 2018

Robocraft - Initial Thoughts

About The Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Build insane, fully customisable robot battle vehicles that drive, hover, walk and fly in the free-to-play action game Robocraft. Add weapons from the future and jump in the driving seat as you take your creation into battle against others online!

BUILD - Combine blocks in an easy-to-use editor interface to create a futuristic robot battle vehicle armed with dozens of different weapon options.

DRIVE - Jump into the pilot seat and test out your robot design against AI. Jet cars, tanks, flying warships, helicopters, drones; almost any vehicle is possible in Robocraft!

FIGHT - Battle online in vast battlefields against players from all over the world on dedicated servers.

Previous Playtime

5 minutes

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

Well, it was free, so that was an inducement. Although, at the time, I was naive to the ways of Free-to-Play games, and thus valued it more highly than I  should have. Though I will say that its pitch was pretty effective - building your own robots and then testing them out is exactly the sort of thing I can't resist.

Expectations and Prior Experience

The biggest worry is, obviously, that it will be the worst kind of Free-to-Play grind, where all the cool parts are locked behind many hours of repetitive gold farming. But I'm also concerned that it might be a little too gladiatorial. I'm looking at the description and it appears to be one of those games that revolve around PvP and that's never been my thing.

But if the game is generous enough with resources that I can build a lot of goofy and improbable robots, then I'll probably be content, even if I don't win a lot of battles. (Unless, of course, my robots become lastingly damaged between fights, in which case I will be inconsolable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment