Monday, March 28, 2016

Cities: Skylines - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Cities: Skylines is a modern take on the classic city simulation. The game introduces new game play elements to realize the thrill and hardships of creating and maintaining a real city whilst expanding on some well-established tropes of the city building experience.
 
From the makers of the Cities in Motion franchise, the game boasts a fully realized transport system. It also includes the ability to mod the game to suit your play style as a fine counter balance to the layered and challenging simulation. You’re only limited by your imagination, so take control and reach for the sky! 

Previous Playtime

18 minutes

Expectations and Prior Experience

My friend Daniel got this game for me around the time I was playing SimCity 4 and so I fired it up to check out the differences between the games. I didn't actually get that much of a read on it, just playing for a few minutes, but it looked to me as if Cities: Skylines owed a lot to the SimCity franchise, but decided to go in a more hardcore detail-oriented direction. I remember most of those 18 minutes involved fiddling with sewer pipes.

Which means that Cities: Skylines is probably exactly my sort of thing. My only worry is that it might have too steep a learning curve and subsequently I'll have a lot of failed cities and no functional ones to show for my 20 hours.

It's probably not worth stressing out about, though. This is a city sim, which means that success and failure are long-term and subjective. If nothing else, I can simply take what I have at the end of all this and declare it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment