Monday, November 9, 2015

Fallout 4 - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, welcome you to the world of Fallout 4 – their most ambitious game ever, and the next generation of open-world gaming.

As the sole survivor of Vault 111, you enter a world destroyed by nuclear war. Every second is a fight for survival, and every choice is yours. Only you can rebuild and determine the fate of the Wasteland. Welcome home.

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

FAALLLOOOUUTT!!!

Expectations and Prior Experience

I've played the previous games in the series several times, including once for this blog (though I never finished Fallout: Tactics), and have been ridiculously hyped for this game for quite some time. Expectations, then, are sky-high. It is clearly going to be the best game I've played since the start of the blog, possibly of all time.

And if it isn't . . . well, it would still have to go out of its way to actually disappoint me. There hasn't been a Bethesda open-world rpg yet that I haven't loved, and though it may be premature to say this, I really don't see any way the formula can go wrong, provided it's done by people who care what they're doing. So, while it's possible that Fallout 4 is going to break the streak, I don't consider that a very likely scenario.

My biggest fear is that my new computer won't actually be able to run the game. I got a new laptop a few months ago, and even though I did my research and bought the best one available in my price range, my price range was not super high, and the technical specification for PC gaming advance so fast . . .

But this is a depressing train of thought. I like my new computer, and I have faith that it has what it takes to at least handle the minimum settings. Plus, it's already bought and preloaded, so it's too late to turn back now  . . .or is it? I don't quite understand Steam's return policy, though I don't like my odds, given my tendency to do everything in my power to get games to work - it took me nearly two hours to realize Dark Souls was broken, and that was embarrassingly obvious in retrospect.

Assuming it works, I imagine by this time tomorrow, I will be hip-deep in post-apocalyptic Boston, having wandered far off the main track of the game to collect scrap metal from ruins and search for bobbleheads (or whatever the FO4 equivalent turns out to be). I'll likely delight at the gentle skewering of the excesses of Americana, and devolve into some kind of pseudo-sapient frenzy of bloodlust as I lay waste to the mutant scum.

It'll be just like coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment