Sunday, December 24, 2017

Apotheon - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

The Gods of Olympus have abandoned humanity, leaving you to perish without their benevolence. Take up arms against the Gods, climb Mount Olympus, and take their divine powers for yourself to ensure mankind’s survival!

Apotheon is a fast and brutal 2D action game with a striking art style and heroic narrative based on Ancient Greek Mythology.

Features:
-Brutal and bloody bronze-aged combat! Slay your enemies with swords, spears, arrows, and other ancient weapons of war.
-Explore the massive open world of Mount Olympus! Battle mythical beings and search for divine treasure across the Forests of Artemis, the Palaces of Apollo, and other sanctuaries of the Gods.
-Guide the rise of Nikandreos, humanity’s last hero. Interact with a colourful cast of fully voiced legendary characters throughout a rich single-player experience.
-Challenge your friends to single combat! In one versus one local multiplayer, pit your skills against other would-be heroes of Greece.
-Learn a little about Greek Mythology! Apotheon tries to stay true to its source material. Read an excerpt from the Iliad about Diomedes before you stick a Xiphos through his Aspis.

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

The Steam store description says it best - the art style is striking. That's pretty much all the thought that went into it for me.

Expectations and Prior Experience

Action games are tricky. A lot of my favorites are action games. But then again, they've also been behind many of my most miserable gaming experiences. The genre is all about testing your wits and your reflexes. Sometimes, I really appreciate the chance to hone my focus and get lost in the challenge, and other times I feel petulant and moody, and resent the game for making me prove myself.

I'm not entirely sure how much to lay at the feet of individual games here. It may just be that my interest in action depends entirely on my mood. Luckily, I'm definitely in the mood to be distracted right now. So long as Apotheon isn't the sort of game that punishes you for daring to play it, I'll probably be all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment