Friday, February 16, 2018

Hack 'n' Slash, Morphopolis, and Trine - Initial Thoughts

I know, I know - this is my most spurious bundle to date. These games have almost nothing in common, not even if you squint (and believe me, I've been squinting). However, looking at the Steam reviews, Hack 'n' Slash is sub-5 hours, Morphopolis is sub-5 hours, and Trine, well, Trine I could probably do 20 hours with for no reason other than the futility of trying to get 100% on single-player in a game explicitly designed for co-op, but, realistically, it's a sub-10 hour game because who am I kidding?

I'm not even going to attempt a rationalization here. I could play these games multiple times each to get 20 hours in all three of them, but I don't want to. This isn't a Consortium situation, where the game is only 3-4 hours long, but there's something new to discover with multiple playthroughs. These are games that are designed to be short. I wouldn't gain anything by spreading them out, and the games wouldn't gain anything by my spreading them out (look at what's happened to the poor, inoffensive Stronghold series from my forcing myself to play it for 120 hours).

Anyway, no excuses. This is purely a time- and sanity-preserving measure. So let's break it down.

Hack 'n' Slash I bought because its central pitch of hacking the game while you're playing it sounded fun and innovative. It's a little worrying that I could potentially introduce game-breaking bugs this way, but I admire the audacity in even presenting that as an option.

Morphopolis I bought because it looks pretty. That's literally all I know about it.

Trine has the goofiest story of the three. My friend Daniel and I like to play co-op games on Saturday mornings. One weekend, he bought me Trine 3. We played it almost all the way to the very end, but got stymied by the final boss. Some time later, he bought me Trine 2, and we played that one all the way through. And it was in the midst of playing Trine 2 that I started to feel a familiar itch - I had every entry in a trilogy except the first one. The Trine series didn't have much of a story, but I'd missed out on the beginning nonetheless.  Since it was less than 2 dollars, I just said "fuck it" and decided to add it to the list.

Despite the shamelessness of treating these three very different games as one, I'm actually feeling pretty good about this. I imagine I'll blow through Hack 'n' Slash and Trine is pretty much a known quality. The only one that makes me even slightly nervous is Morphopolis, but what's the worst case scenario here? Even if it sucks, at least it will be short.

No comments:

Post a Comment