Monday, April 24, 2017

Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

 In an open sand box world you choose your allies, your enemies, what provinces to conquer, what castles to siege and what quests to embark on. With Fire & Sword builds and expands upon the highly regarded combat system from Mount & Blade: Warband. Firearms have been introduced to the battlefield. Additionally, muskets and pistols can now be used as sidearms in hand-to-hand combat to quickly drop your foes. In addition to the enhanced singleplayer mode, With Fire & Sword also provides a host of original multiplayer content including the new game mode: Captain.

Previous Playtime

6 minutes

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

Well, it was part of a bundle, and this was back in my "why buy the one exact game I want when I could by a whole bunch of games I'll probably never play for only a couple dollars more" phase. I was buying Mount & Blade: Warband, but I'd be damned if I didn't get the whole series at the same time.

Expectations and Prior Experience

This will be my third time playing a Mount & Blade game and so far the experience has been frustrating, but generally positive. I don't expect that to change.

What makes me most uncertain, going into this, is that "With Fire & Sword" is the most recent iteration of the series, but "Warband" is the one that gets recommended most often. I don't know why that should be. Did it take a step backwards? Did it add new mechanics people don't like? The reviews on Steam are generally positive, so I'm not worried, but I am concerned.

It will probably be all right though. I learned a thing or two about fighting effectively when playing the original Mount & Blade, so I should have a little easier time in the early game. The midgame is where I hit a wall last time, but if I dedicate myself to a single character, I should be able to get past it . . .

Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment