Saturday, May 26, 2018

ibb & obb - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

ibb & obb is a two player cooperative game set in a puzzle filled world where gravity goes both up and down. You can only succeed by working closely together.

Find a friend for some true local co-op couch fun or match up online.

Fall up and jump down through 15 levels filled with double gravity puzzles and discover 8 hidden worlds that will test your new non-Newtonian skills to the maximum.

All levels have their own unique music, composed by Kettel, known for his warm melodic electronica.

Previous Playtime

8 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

ibb & obb is kind of a great game. It is a co-op platformer where each player controls one of these cute blob-like creatures and they navigate these stark 2D worlds that are divided into two separate halves with opposite gravity. So you can jump from the top of the screen, fall through a hole, and then bounce right back again when gravity reverses. To get through it, you often have to use your friend as a spring board for complicated gravity-manipulation tricks. I played it all the way through with my friend Daniel and I had a blast.

Now I have to play it mostly by myself. I'm not sure it's even possible. It's certainly not recommended, and inadvisable even if it was. I imagine it's playable, in the strictest technical sense, but only if you can split your attention and separately control two different characters with each of your hands.

It sounds like a nightmare, but I guess piano players manage to do something similar, so who knows, maybe it will get to be like second nature. In all likelihood I will be miserable the entire time.

But hey, it's the last game on my list, and if I'm not going to stubbornly insist on perversely playing games in ways their designers never intended just to reach an arbitrary deadline, then what is his blog even for?

No comments:

Post a Comment