Thursday, January 18, 2018

Yomi - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Tom Vasel's (of Dice Tower fame) Game of the Year, 2010

Yomi is a fighting game in card form. Learn your character, practice combos, and read the opponent's tendencies. 10 characters to choose from, plus 10 more expansion characters available for purchase inside the app.

Yomi captures the mindgames from fighting games such as Street Fighter, and was created by the lead designer of Street Fighter HD Remix, who was also a long-time fighting game tournament player. Yomi itself is a strategy card game that has held up to many years of tournaments. Start practicing now!

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

It's a funny story. A reader was going to buy this game for me in the most recent Steam Sale, but couldn't because the regional price differences were such that he could not send it as a gift (I guess to prevent complex international money-laundering schemes using Steam games as an intermediary). Nonetheless, I was so touched by the gesture I bought it myself, just so the world will not be deprived of my insightful commentary. Also, Yomi was on my wishlist anyways because I like card games and have a very low threshold for what goes on my wishlist (I kind of see adding things to my wishlist as being like methadone for my shopping addiction), so it wasn't any kind of hardship.

Expectations and Prior Experience

I have no idea what to expect from this game, but I do know that I've yet to play a card game I didn't like. The biggest obstacle I anticipate is the need for repetition. There's only 10 decks, which means 90 possible 1v1 match-ups (or 100, if mirror matches are allowed). So unless the matches take 12 to 13 minutes each, I'm going to be repeating at least some of them before this is all said and done.

It's probably nothing to worry about, though. I could play a card game in my sleep.

2 comments:

  1. HOLY CARP YOU'RE PLAYING YOMI

    Hit me up (CarpeGuitarrem) and I can try running you through the ropes, if you like. Quick Match can be a bear to find, because the game is a bit of a "cult classic" with a small playerbase. (On the other hand, the hard AI is serviceable, so maybe you're just gunning for AI stuff.) If you have questions, feel free to let me know! I've, uh, played it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely welcome having someone to play with, but I should warn you, I'm mostly active late at night and early in the morning.

      Delete