Monday, June 19, 2017

Interplanetary - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Interplanetary is a turn-based strategy artillery game based on a hard scifi setting. It offers players an interplanetary battlefield where they can develop their home planets and use massive artilleries to wage war.

It's an arms race of interplanetary scale, with each planet developing increasingly powerful weapons. Massive railgun batteries are the backbone of any interplanetary arsenal, but the cunning use of missiles and precision lasers may hold the key to victory. Strategic building patterns, upgrades and defense structures might keep your vital installations standing long enough to give you an edge, but it's only a matter of time until all but one must fall.

Sometimes, your greatest foe is the planetary system itself! Don't let the unpredictable gravitational changes get the better of you - observe your surroundings, use them to your advantage, and blast your enemies back to the stone age!

Previous Playtime

3 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

This game made it on to my wishlist because I'm a sucker for turn-based strategy and the idea of interplanetary projectiles being affected by gravity struck me as a fun and unique mechanic. Then, my friend Daniel bought the game for me and it turns out I'm really bad at it. We've played it online three or four times and I've never been able to get my eye in when it comes to leading my projectiles ahead of planets. After playing Kerbal Space Program, I was able to grasp the problem a bit better, but I still have trouble estimating how all the different factors will come together.

I anticipate a great many demoralizing losses over the next 20 hours. Hopefully, this will lead to me improving my skills and becoming more efficient at ruthlessly bombarding inhabited worlds into oblivion, but realistically, there's probably going to be quite a bit of pouting along the way (I promise, I'll try to keep things as dignified as possible).

No comments:

Post a Comment