Thursday, February 1, 2018

Consortium - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Game One of the iDGi-1 Trilogy.

A murder mystery, on a plane, in the future.

CONSORTIUM could be described as a first person science-fiction role-playing experience. It also can be played like an adventure game.

The story begins in our world - the "real world" - where we here at Interdimensional Games have developed a satellite (iDGi-1) capable of opening a digital rift through time and space. Anyone with an internet connection can travel through this rift and awaken within an alternate dimension from our own - the "game world" - in the year 2042. 

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

This is one of those games I got for free. Sometimes people on Steam give away free games (apparently) and there used to be a time when I would just jump on every such opportunity. Consortium was towards the end of that period, where I knew I had to be more discerning, but was not yet inoculated against the allure of "free."

Expectations and Prior Experience

A murder mystery on a sci-fi space plane sounds like a cool and unique idea for an rpg. I am anticipating a lot of juicy commentary here. My main worry is that the reviews say it's short and that you're meant to play through multiple times to explore different paths. If that's true, there should be 20 hours worth of content here, but the last time I played a game with 20 hours of content spread out over a dozen different playthroughs was Long Live the Queen. And while I liked the game, I admit to going a bit stir-crazy there towards the end.

Still, it will be nice to have a narrative to follow again. I'm hoping it will be enough to keep me obsessed, so I can knock this one out in 3 or 4 days. But even if it's not, it probably won't be bad enough to push me behind my schedule.

Famous last words, I know, but what can I say, I'm feeling like an optimist today.

1 comment:

  1. I thought Consortium was interesting and fun, if a bit clunky mechanically. I didn't get the most out of it because I didn't feel motivated to play through multiple times. I'm looking forward to reading your experience.

    -PAS

    ReplyDelete