Saturday, March 31, 2018

Blood Bowl 2 - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Blood Bowl 2 smashes Warhammer and American football together, in an explosive cocktail of turn-based strategy, humour and brutality, adapted from Games Workshop’s famous boardgame.

Blood Bowl 2’s new graphics engine and high-flying realization makes for a faithful portrayal of the fury and intensity of classic Blood Bowl matches. The solo game mode will have you lead the famous Reikland Reavers. Former star team of Blood Bowl you are tasked with bringing them back to glory, following a full story campaign supported by the hilarious commentators Jim & Bob from Cabalvision. Each match of the campaign is unique, with unexpected and surprising events constantly renewing the experience!

The multiplayer modes are bigger and richer than ever. In the persistent online mode, create and manage your own team comprised of one of eight races from the Warhammer world – Humans, Orcs, Dwarfs, Skaven, High Elves, Dark Elves, Chaos, and the Bretonnia newcomers. You will develop your team, gaining XP and unlocking new skills. But beware! On the pitch, all losses are permanent... Organize entirely customisable championships, from qualifications to finale, and use the new Transfer Market to buy and sell your players, and build your Blood Bowl dream-team!

The next generation of Blood Bowl touches down today, will YOU be the champion?

Previous Playtime

0 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

I have the first Blood Bowl for the xbox360, but I didn't play it much. I first got it back before I got an HDTV and the text was much too small for me to make my way through the tutorial. By the time I had finally gotten a modern television, I had moved on to other things. I did play part of a match online with a friend, but I was completely out of my depth.

On the surface, Blood Bowl 2 looks appealing - a turn-based rpg inspired by American football, but filtered through the sensibility of an irreverent British fantasy setting. My only concern is that it may take longer than 20 hours to come to grips with the nuances of the game's strategy, and thus I will spend the bulk of my time as a hapless novice, losing game after game and not really understanding why.

But that's par for the course with new strategy games. It's equally likely that everything will be fine and I'll be brawling up a storm in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment