Monday, July 24, 2017

Hero Siege - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Hero Siege is a Hack 'n' Slash game with roguelike- & RPG elements. Annihilate hordes of enemies, grow your talent tree, grind better loot and explore up to 6 Acts enhanced with beautiful Pixel Art graphics! This game offers countless hours of gameplay and up to 4 player online multiplayer!

We developers are interested in your feedback. So if you choose to get the game see you on the forums! - Vexorian

In the depths of Tarethiel a group of monks united the four pieces of the brimstone talisman, waking up the slendering demons below... The Act was fortold in the Ancient Book of Revelations and that Satan would raise from Hell to rule the earth... Someone needs to stop him or else the mankind will soon face extinction!

Previous Playtime

7 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This Game

I saw one of my friends playing it and from the brief glimpse I got from his screen, I decided that it looked kind of fun. When I saw it on sale for a buck and change, I figured "why not."

Expectations and Prior Experience

I've played Hero Siege online with my friends a couple of times, and it was mostly fun, but it had one flaw that absolutely drove me up the wall - the enemy hp was way too high compared to the amount of damage your (or at least my) characters could do. And since the game also throws huge hordes of enemies at you, it wound up being a long, drawn-out brawl, where I had to lead whole trains of enemies around the levels, picking them off one by one. I ordinarily like facing hordes of enemies, but call me old fashioned, if I'm fighting a horde, I want the individual members to be ridiculously fragile. Make up for the lost difficulty in numbers, if you must, but if you're bring 100 of your buddies, I don't want to see your face long enough to get bored by it.

Anyway, since that discovery, I've been kind of dreading playing this game. I'm hoping that the enemy hp seemed inflated because they were scaled for multiplayer, or I simply had a weak character build, or it's something that you can simply out level (or some combination of the three). If I have to lead my enemies on a conga-line of death for 20 hours, this will be an unbearable slog, but if it turns out not to be that, then Hero Siege looks a lot like the sort of game I enjoy. And while I kind of feel like 7 hours should be enough to get an accurate feel for a game, I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment