Friday, September 11, 2015

Mount & Blade: Warband - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

In a land torn asunder by incessant warfare, it is time to assemble your own band of hardened warriors and enter the fray. Lead your men into battle, expand your realm, and claim the ultimate prize: the throne of Calradia!

Mount & Blade: Warband is the eagerly anticipated stand alone expansion pack for the game that brought medieval battlefields to life with its realistic mounted combat and detailed fighting system.

Previous Playtime

12 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I'd just read a Let's Play of the game, and the detail and immersion suggested by the descriptions therein intrigued me. Since this was back when I didn't have quite so many games, I bought it without a second thought. I was also naive enough to get the bundle, because bundles on steam are scarcely more expensive than single games. I've since learned that two of the three games are basically redundant, but luckily this is the good one.

Expectations and Prior Experience

I must have started and abandoned a half dozen characters so far. I really like the game's complexity, but I never quite pinned down the most enjoyable character build. That's pretty standard for your more intricate rpgs, though. Despite my fecklessness, I was interested in learning more about the game and fully exploring its various mechanics. Then life intervened, I got distracted, and in the years since I last played it, I've bought dozens more games, most of which I haven't played.

I expect I'll have a couple of false starts getting back into it, but that once I get the hang of things, I'll get carried away and want to master its virtual world. That's usually how I feel about games with deep exploration and immersion mechanics.

No comments:

Post a Comment