Saturday, May 2, 2015

Broken Age - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

 Broken Age is a family friendly, hand-animated, puzzle-filled adventure game with an all-star cast, including Elijah Wood, Jack Black and Masasa Moyo.

Funded by a record breaking crowdfunding campaign and designed by industry legend Tim Schafer, Broken Age is a timeless coming-of-age story of barfing trees and talking spoons.

Vella Tartine and Shay Volta are two teenagers in strangely similar situations, but radically different worlds. The player can freely switch between their stories, helping them take control of their own lives, and dealing with the unexpected adventures that follow.

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

Awhile back I played a game called Brutal Legend, and it was an absolute delight. The degree of imagination and humor packed into it were unlike anything I'd ever seen. So when I saw that the same company had released a PC game and that it was on sale, I jumped on the chance to try it oug.

Previous Playtime

0 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

The Steam store description is a little vague. I liked Jack Black's vocal work in Brutal Legend, so I can only hope that the same combination of developer and voice actor will be similarly hilarious. I don't know the particulars of how the game is played, so I don't know what to expect from the moment-to-moment experience, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm a little worried that a game that so prominently advertises its voice actors will be difficult to play at work. I have a lot of time, so that's not a problem, but I'm frequently interrupted. I hope the game won't suffer from me having to pause a lot.

The screenshots from the store make Broken Age look adorable. I predict (if a tad optimistically) that this will be a funny and magical story.

No comments:

Post a Comment