Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Takedown: Red Sabre - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)
TAKEDOWN is a thinking-person’s shooter; brutal, hardcore and deadly - like the real thing. Not for the faint hearted, Takedown requires you to bring your 'A' game - FPS fans looking for an ultra hardcore experience only need apply! 

The player that takes things slow, aims carefully, and plans their moves right will overcome the player who runs in with guns blazing. Close-quarters battle brings the fight inside, as you would see SWAT teams or SOF units taking down small numbers of dangerous adversaries. Non-linear environments allow for multiple routes and tactics and add replayability. 

In recent years, shooters have become homogenized. There used to be a wide range of different games to choose, from run-and-gun action titles to slow-paced tactical shooters focusing on strategy and tactics, but now most shooters follow the same model of big set pieces, regenerating health, linear levels, and “cinematic experiences.” The realistic tactical shooters with in-depth planning have almost entirely disappeared in recent years. 

This game focuses on realistic weapons modeling, squad based play, in a close-quarters battle setting. To succeed in this game you need to take things slow, study your environment, and execute flawlessly. If you get shot, there are consequences. You won’t be hiding behind a wall waiting for your health to regenerate. If a team member goes down, you will have to assess the situation and reallocate team members if necessary to complete the mission. Don’t expect all of the tools and plans to be forced fed to you – it is up to the player to ensure their team is equipped and ready for the tasks at hand. With features such as realistic bullet penetration, accuracy, and recoil, choosing the proper weapons, ammunition, armor, and gear for the mission is up to you, so choose carefully. 

Gameplay modes include single player, co-op, and competitive multiplayer. If you are a fan of old school shooters where thinking meant more than running and gunning or perks, or if you are just looking for something different in your shooter games experience, this is the game for you.


Prior Play Time
0 hours

Previous Experience
None, my friend Travis bought this game specifically to torment me. I'm not sure what I did to earn his ire, but I happened (despite my resolution to come into these challenge games "fresh") to look down at the reviews, and I'm sure this will be penance for whatever misdeeds I may have performed.

Expectations
Low. Rock bottom, in fact. The game lost me the second it said "thinking person's shooter," I knew I was in for a rough ride. If I may flatter myself for a bit - I like to think of myself as a thinking person. I've been know to deliver the occasional bon mot, and, in rare instances, even make a trenchant observation or two. However, shooters, for me, are where this all breaks down. I like the big set pieces and "cinematic experiences" Takedown: Red Sabre's store page so derides. And I love running in with guns blazing. Consequently, I am pretty bad at even a normal shooter. This one is going to kill me so many times.

I'm going to have to try and laugh at it. Otherwise, I might cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment