Monday, August 7, 2017

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

The story and action of Star Wars®: The Force Unleashed™ expands with the release of Star Wars The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition, a special new version of the game that will show gamers the deepest, darkest side of the Force in a story that puts them on a collision course with Luke Skywalker himself. The Ultimate Sith Edition includes all of the original missions found in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as well as content previously only available via download and an all-new exclusive bonus level.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed completely re-imagines the scope and scale of the Force and casts players as Darth Vader’s "Secret Apprentice," unveiling new revelations about the Star Wars galaxy seen through the eyes of a mysterious new character armed with unprecedented powers. 

Previous Playtime

0 hours

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

This game was part of the now-infamous Star Wars bundle I bought a couple of years back. However, rather than being an afterthought, this was one of the games that sold me on the bundle as a whole. I'd played the original game back on the Wii, and so the PC port, with DLC, bundled with the sequel, was a pretty tempting proposition.

Expectations and Prior Experience

Something that hasn't come up on the blog, and would probably get me shamed out of "real" gamer circles, is the fact that I love motion controls. To me, the loss of precision is absolutely worth it for the sheer physical joy of moving my arms and my body in time with the game (although, ironically, as much as I love crafting games, I would not want to play them with motion controls, because it is possible to have too much of a good thing).

So when I heard news of a Star Wars game coming out for the Wii, I knew I at least had to try it. Motion controlled Jedi was too beautiful a dream. Although, when The Force Unleashed finally came out, it garnered middling reviews, and thus I did the sensible, cautious thing and rented it.

I have a vague recollection of enjoying the game, though the only part that really sticks in my memory is the opening mission where you get to play a badass version of Darth Vader. Considering that I only paid about $1.50 for this game, that will be worth the price of admission on its own, I'm sure.

My real worry is that I've heard some negative things about the PC port of the game. It's already going to be a blow to lose the motion controls I previously enjoyed so much, to also have to deal with bugs and crashes is discouraging.

Nonetheless, I have high hopes for this game. I just want to wander through Star Wars-themed corridors,  slicing through fools with my lightsaber and flinging around Force powers like no one's business. If it gives me that in even a moderately functional way, I'll be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment