Friday, September 26, 2014

Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

The world is at an end, and you have 30 seconds to save it!

(30… 29… 28…) Start your quest, meet people that need help, fight through dark dungeons, earn money, upgrade your gear and level up, level up, level up until you triumph over evil and take down the final boss! 

(30… 29… 28…) The critically acclaimed Hypersonic RPG action game makes its debut on PC, leveled-up and enhanced to be the ultimate version. The most complete Half Minute Hero yet, it contains all the content and the features (21… 20… 19…) from the previous versions on handheld and console platforms, such as “Hero 300” - the challenging 300 second final chapter, (11… 10… 9…) as well as the exciting Knight 30, Hero 30, and Evil Lord 30 bonus game modes, restored to their full glory... 

(30… 29… 28…) Let’s try that again – Over 60 RPGs in one game, each with its own leaderboard for you to compete with your friends and full Steamworks integration. 8-bit retro graphics are available for when you are feeling nostalgic. (19… 18… 17…). With only 30 seconds to complete each mission (9… 8… 7…), it has proven to be incredibly addictive and loads of fun! 

All the features. All the game modes. Let the 30 second games begin…


Previous Play Time

107 minutes

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

It's a little fuzzy, because it was part of an irresponsible shopping binge (it's not my fault, the Steam Summer Sale was right before my birthday), but I'm pretty sure my line of thought was "oh, that has an amusing title, and it's only fifty cents, it couldn't hurt adding it to my cart." I was also kind of curious about the whole "save the world in thirty seconds" thing. It did not make a lick of sense to me.

Prior Experience

I've already played it a bit. I found it to be a charming bit of fluff, and I really appreciated the way it did not require an immense time commitment. I've not, however, saved the world 200 times, and I suspect that I'm much closer to the beginning of the game than the end. I also did not get the chance to explore any of the alternate game modes, but if I recall, they generally looked pretty funny.

Expectations

It's kind of a shame that I'm going into this pre-spoiled on the concept, because there were a lot of sharp jokes at the beginning of the game that would have been nice to blog about with fresh eyes. That said, I never got to the end of the game, so I'm looking forward to chuckling at various wacky characters and unexpected plot twists. I'm also curious if there is any great evolution in gameplay at higher levels. It all looked pretty simple to me, but it could be that I never got past the newbie levels.

However, my previous experience with Half Minute Hero leads me to believe that even if there's no great revelation in the back half, it will probably still be light and airy enough for these 20 hours to fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment