Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - 2/20 hours

Playing this game feels good, like slipping into a comfortable pair of old shoes. While Morrowind is not my most frequently played Elder Scrolls game, it was my first, and I know every moment of its opening sequence by heart.

I can already tell that it's going to be tough blogging about this game. Recapping is easy enough, this series is eventful enough that I could write thousands of words just describing what was going on, but I feel like, if I did, I would just be going over ground I've covered before.

Maybe I'm worrying too much. This game is huge, and last time I recapped it, I didn't explore the Fighter's Guild, or the Imperial Legions, or two of the three Great Houses, or Solsteim, or vampires, or . . . I could go on, but anyone familiar with the game knows it's a long list.

Still, I feel like I could use an ace in the hole. To that end, I will play this game with a self-imposed challenge, to ensure that I will be forced to take a different path - my character will not use magic, alchemy or enchanting. I will, however use potions and magic items I find as loot or buy from vendors, because the game would be unplayable otherwise, but I will not even step foot down the road that leads to breaking the game.

For role-playing reasons, I chose to play a Nord Warrior (though I just know that the Warrior class will wind up screwing me in the long run). I also chose the Steed as my sign, which is less than optimal, but something I had to do, because your base movement speed in this game is far too slow.

In the spirit of exploring parts of the game I have not yet experienced, Ragnar the Nord has already, in the first two hours, done a few things I've never done before. For one, I investigated the disappearance of Processus Vitellius, but that didn't go anywhere because I chose not divulge the 200 septims I found on his body, and the customs official seemed satisfied with my report.

I also chose, for the first time, to clear out the cave of Addmasartus. The main reason I've always avoided it is because a starting character flails around helplessly with weapons, rendering the fighting farcical. I had to retreat and sleep in the customs office (because there is no inn in the starting city), because I gave Fargoth his healing ring back.

There were compensations, though. I found some skooma and moon sugar, which I can't sell until Balmora, but have an amazing cost-to-weight ratio. I also, for some reason, found some armor for my right arm, but not my left. It's a little silly, but I think it looks kind of cool.

After that I did another thing I never did before - I actually walked from Seyda Neen to Balmora. It's kind of fun, seeing the countryside from ground level and exploring the various nooks and crannies, and random caves - even though half of them killed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment