Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - 31 hours

I almost made it. According to the walkthrough, I got up to the second to the last battle. In theory, it should only take a few minutes to finish, but so many of my party members died that continuing on was impossible. I suspect I'm underleveled, but making my way back to a suitable grinding area would take so long that I've decided it'll be a better use of my time to move on to Baldur's Gate: II.

It turns out that the Iron Throne was at a the center of a conspiracy to use doppelgangers to in infiltrate the upper ranks of Baludr's Gate's high society. I tracked down the leadership, beat on them a bit, and was eventually framed for the murder of some high-ranking Iron Throne operatives that I would have killed anyway (they were doppelgangers). Once I got out of prison, I made another raid on the Iron Throne's tower and learned that their leader, Sarevok, was running the organization into the ground in his effort to become Grand Duke of Baldur's Gate and inflame the passions of anti-amnian factions to start a war and use the spiritual power of the slain to ascend to godhood. (Called it!)

As it happens, both Sarevok and Aryfa are children of Baal, the god of murder. We have a touching family reunion in the Duke's palace, just as Sarevok is being crowned. We have documents that prove he was behind a bunch of political assassination, and that leads to a brawl. But Sarevok escaped at the last minute, and led me on a merry chase through a maze under the thieves guild.

It was at the end of the maze that I ran into some remnant Iron Throne bounty hunters who wanted to kill both Sarevok and my party for their crimes against the organization. They successfully do so at least a half dozen times, and because I didn't get enough sleep for the past a couple of days, and I'm kind of grumpy, I chose this time to quit. I just know that I would completely fail to beat the final boss.

Overall, this game feels like a prototype. It has a lot of promise, but too many points of sloppy execution and missed potential. I've got my fingers crossed that Baldur's Gate II will deliver on that promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment