Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Velvet Assassin - 16/20 hours

I edited the game's difficulty configuration file to make me invincible for my second playthrough. It was interesting to see how short the game was when you don't have to worry about getting shot. Turns out, for every minute I spent actually doing stuff, I was spending another two just waiting around. I guess that's a hallmark of the stealth genre - it trains you to be patient, to wait for just the right moment before taking action.

It's obvious, even to me, that the invincible avenging angel who goes around stabbing Nazis in the face while they helplessly empty their weapons into her bulletproof body is a much worse game than what Velvet Assassin actually turned out to be, but I kind of enjoyed it. It felt liberating to take the enemies I had spent so much of the last twelve hours fearing and render them trivial.

Unfortunately, I wound up getting through the game far too quickly. I think, for my third playthrough, I'm going to make the game even easier by cranking down the stealth difficulty. I will use that, in combination with an online guide, to find all the collectibles and secret objectives. If that winds up taking me less than four hours, I'll tweak the settings some more to try and change the game into a shooter (I'm thinking it could be done by setting the damage to 25-50% and then doubling or tripling the amount of ammo you get).

Maybe this counts as vandalism of someone else's work, but I feel like I've already pushed myself to beat the game honestly, and therefor I've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment