Tuesday, December 19, 2017

One Way Heroics - 20/20 hours

Thanks to a heads-up from FrivYeti on the rpg.net forums, I was made aware of some alternate victory conditions - getting to the end of the world-map and attacking the Darkness itself. The first I didn't pursue, on account of it taking so long, but with the help of a guide, I was able to achieve the second (after recruiting the Demon Lord to my party and getting up to level 99).

It also helps that I found a character build that was both powerful and suited to my play style. I'm almost too embarrassed to tell you about it, though. There was a character class that got a large, permanent damage boost, and all you have to do is strip naked and shun clothing forever. And this is not merely an equipment thing. Normally, your equipped armor doesn't change your appearance, but using zenura weave gives you a naked sprite, just running around the map like a tiny, pixelated pervert.

I guess it's just part of the game's weird side, like the fact that there is a mercenary named "Panty Shot." That was pretty mortifying. Although, I guess if I hadn't mentioned it, nobody would know but me . . . and whoever bothered to read my achievements.

It grew on me in the end, though. It probably wasn't the right game to pick if I wanted a quick complete for my 2017 goal, but as I grew more skilled, the frustration inherent to the roguelike genre subsided and I was able to concentrate on grinding achievements. I'm definitely inclined to mark the game down for making the most powerful character the one who prances around naked, both for the sake of what little dignity this hobby still holds and the fact that it obsoletes one third of your equipment and a good game should not encourage the players to ignore its mechanics. However, that aside, One Way Heroics was a cute little ARPG.

I don't really feel like I have any unfinished business with this game, but I could definitely be persuaded to play it again. The psuedo-turn-based movement and combat took some getting used to, but proved to be interesting challenges in their own right. The story and setting could have used some more detail, but they were charming enough (stupid shit like Panty Shot aside). Overall, it was a fairly decent way to waste 20 minutes, even if the middle five hours sagged a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment