Thursday, March 15, 2018

Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power - 11/20 hours

Oh no. My second playthrough took slightly less than 5 hours. This is not good. It can only mean that I have an entire third playthrough left to go, and also the better part of a fourth. I wouldn't call it a disaster, because Trine 3 is tolerable enough that I can basically play it on autopilot, but I'm still not happy. I yearn for new experiences, new vistas to explore. Instead, I've got to retread this game more times than is humanly reasonable.

I've got no new insights to share with you, though. Trine 3 was a shallow game to start with, and a repeat performance has revealed no hidden depth. I probably could have played it four times, easily, spread out over the course of a year, as a cool-down between more stressful games, but I've decided to do the blog linearly (a decision, I'm realizing, with no real purpose except to make browsing the archives easier).

There is a glimmer of hope, though. Trine 3 allows for mods. There are, potentially, dozens of fan-created levels for me to try out. The only question is if they are more like Shadowrun Returns' massive story missions or Spore's brief and pointless Galactic adventures. It may be that I can get through all the extra adventures and still have enough time for a third playthrough.

That's just a risk I'll have to take, though. Trine 3 is a puzzle game, and nothing hurts a puzzle game more than lack of novelty.

My mood right now is resigned but hopeful. I'm confident that the hours will pass with little trouble, and that the mods will be, at worst, a complete waste of time (which, in this context, is a good thing).

No comments:

Post a Comment