Saturday, February 17, 2018

Morphopolis - 2.5/20 hours (7.5/20 total)

I figured out the connection between Morphopolis and Hack 'n' Slash - they are both puzzle games centered around bugs. . .

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually, Morphopolis is a member of a genre I'd heard about, but never really had any interest in - the hidden object game. Each level is a gorgeously colorful still painting (with some incidental, but not mechanically relevant animation) and the object of the game is to click on various items when prompted by the interface. It's slow-paced, casual, and relaxing. And if you get too frustrated by an especially well-disguised item, there's a hint button . . . which I would not say I abused, but which I probably should have ignored, for no reason other than to squeeze another few minutes out of the game.

Because there's nothing to do in this game but find objects and solve the occasional puzzle. I already have all 13 of the Achievements, because there are no side paths or concealed secrets. In Morphopolis, everything not forbidden is compulsory (okay, okay, that's the last one).

Anyway, I'm a little curious as to how this would stack up against Sakura Spirit in terms of sub-3 hour games I'd convinced myself to play for 20 hours in a row, but I'm nonetheless relieved that I don't have to try (honestly, I think only Portal and possibly Brothers could stand up to 10 playthroughs in a row, and even then it would be a close thing). It's a slight game, but I'd say it's definitely worth the 24 cents I paid for it. Hell, it would be a bargain at twice the price (which is a handy thing, because it's on sale for 51 cents right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment